BNC eNEWS, Issue 1, August 2013
The Berkeley Neighborhoods Council (BNC) wants to share news and issues with all neighborhood groups in Berkeley, whether formally organized or just a few people. We want the good news and the bad news about neighborhood projects, events, public safety issues or any other matters or concerns that you want to share with other Berkeley neighborhoods so that we can effectively carry out our Statement of Purpose that appears on our website, www.berkeleyneighborhoodscouncil.com.
- What We're Thinking About: Redistricting - The Makings of a Perfect Storm for Neighborhoods... How neighborhoods are NOT being recognized as Communities of Interest for purposes of drawing Council District lines.
- Neighborhood News: Round and About Read about how the City's policy to 'protect' our small, local businesses (Café Mokka) isn't happening, amendments to the Demolition Ordinance, and news about proposed micro-units at 2701 Shattuck and the stacked shipping container design at Fulton and Dwight Way.
- Featured Neighborhoods: Mini-dorms There's a silent (up to now) issue that affects most residential areas in Berkeley. Read more about what is being done about it.
- Outside Agencies Affect Berkeley Neighborhoods: Read about the density Plan Bay Area lays out for Berkeley and the entire Bay Area.
- The Cultural Corner: Read about the cultural treasure BNC has selected to feature in this issue, and find out about how to nominate your favorite for a future issue.
- On The Neighborhood Food Prowl: Everyone in Berkeley is a food critic. We are too! Ours will always remain anonymous.
- The Let's Just Get It Fixed Column: Read about why we have nominated the landmarked Iceland building for this issue and send in your nominations for sites that cry out for attention. BNC will try and get the necessary fixes done.
- Neighborhood Watch Calendar: Read about items neighborhoods should be watching. We start with Measure M.
- Letters: Read about how the disappearance of the Giant Purple Thistles leads to concerns about how Berkeley may be polluting the Bay.
We hope you enjoy Issue 1 of the BNC eNEWS. Send us your thoughts and your news at email@example.com. We want to hear from you.